Welcome to the Springs House!
This historic structure is currently the home of the Lancaster County Council of the Arts, See Lancaster and the Springs Foundation.
This beautiful and historic house, which is around 4,000 square feet, was then purchased by local textile manufacturer and banker, Colonel Leroy Springs in 1888. He remodeled the house in 1906-1907. It was here that his World War 1 Flying Ace and noted author son, Elliot Springs, was born (in 1896) and raised. In 1957, the house became City Hall after a lease purchase agreement with the City of Lancaster.
The Springs House is an impressive two-story, frame residence in downtown Lancaster that was converted to municipal use as a city hall after a lease purchase agreement in 1957 and remained until 1999, when the new City Hall was built on Catawba Street. It was then the LCCA was leased this space by the City 16+ years ago.
It was built as a smaller house between 1828 and 1835 by Robert Gill. The house was greatly enlarged in the mid-1850s and it took its present appearance in a ca. 1906-07 remodeling, with Greek revival detailing. The owner during the substantial 1850s renovations was Samuel Buckner Massey. The 1906-07 remodeling, which the buildings integrity derives from, occurred under the ownership of Colonel Leroy Springs, who secured James M. McMichael, an architect from Charlotte, North Carolina, to plan the changes and additions. The façade features a two-tiered pedimented portico defined by fluted columns with Doric-influenced capitals. The pediment contains a semi-elliptical window with tracery. At some point in its history, the Springs House had an east and west portico; only the west portico remains today. There is a two-story, flat roof porch addition at the rear.
The main interior feature is an entrance stair in a two-story foyer. Leroy Springs played a major role in the industrial development of Lancaster and the surrounding area.
The Leroy Springs House represents a significant part of Lancaster’s past, and in this single building, the development of the town is reflected. The house contains structural evidence of a plain house of the early nineteenth century as well as the early twentieth century attempt of a successful industrialist to express his wealth and power through his residence. Many people believe that the town of Lancaster owes its character and economic status largely to Leroy Springs and his vision for the southern textile industry.
The house was listed in the National Register March 20, 1986.
The downstairs is available for special occasion rentals and contains the Founders Gallery and Wells Fargo Gallery where local and regional artwork is featured monthly, in addition to the artists featured in the library gift cases. The gallery space is open to the public during office hours and by appointment.