The Lancaster County
Council of the Arts (LCCA) was founded on May 12, 1977 by Nancy Howell and officed in her home. The LCCA
started TAP (Total Arts Program) to bring artists from all over the state into schools for residencies and community
programs. This later became Artists in Education program, as administered by the South Carolina Arts Commission (SCAC).
Affilates under the
LCCA umbrella included Community Playhouse of Lancaster, Lancaster Chamber Choir, Lancaster Arts League, Lancaster Music Study
Club, Lancaster Black History Commission, and others. Grants written and administered by the LCCA have been responsible for many community programs and projects
including The Carolina Legends Festival, Arts Are Popping Festival, Arts Beyond Arts Therapy Program, Gallery Exhibits, etc.
LCCA is now housed in the Springs House.
The Springs House is an impressive two-story,
frame residence in downtown Lancaster that was converted to municipal use as a city hall in 1957. An original section of the
building was constructed around 1820-30. The house was greatly enlarged in the mid-1850s and it took its present appearance
in a ca. 1906-07 remodeling. The original owner and builder are not known. The owner during the 1850s renovations was Samuel
Buckner Massey. The ca. 1906-07 remodeling, which the buildings integrity derives from, occurred under the ownership of Colonel
Leroy Springs, who secured James M. McMichael, an architect from Charlotte, North Carolina, to plan the changes and additions.
The façade features a two-tiered pedimented portico defined by fluted columns with Doric-influenced capitals. The pediment
contains a semi-elliptical window with tracery. There is a two-story, flat roof porch addition at the rear. The main interior
feature is an entrance stair in a two-story foyer. Leroy Springs played a major role in the industrial development of Lancaster
and the surrounding area. The Leroy Springs House represents a significant part of Lancaster’s past, and in this single
building, the development of the town is reflected. The house contains structural evidence of a plain house of the early nineteenth
century as well as the early twentieth century attempt of a successful industrialist to express his wealth and power through
his residence. Many people believe that the town of Lancaster owes its character and economic status largely to Leroy Springs
and his vision for the southern textile industry. Listed in the National Register March 20, 1986.